Monday, October 24, 2016

live your life and forget your age.


Some people dread birthdays. Not me. Whenever October 24th rolls around, I am bursting with joy. I simply cannot wait for all of the fun and festivities. Like birthday cake and balloons. Dinner with my family. And that feeling that for just one day....I shine. Yes, I am a bit of a birthday brat. I refuse to work on my birthday (I always book it off) and get super excited about all the events that await.

Honestly? This is the only birthday I have ever been hesitant about. It's not hard to figure out why. I am turning the big 3-0. That fact alone has caused me to do an awful lot of thinking. About where I am in my life vs where I thought I'd be. It is easy to get wrapped up in what you haven't done....instead of what you have. So, I have been working hard to appreciate the many blessings in my life.

Today is my 30th birthday. In my life so far, I have married my soulmate, had wonderful experiences with my family, made memories with a best friend I adore, and have a writing career that makes me proud. (Even if it is in progress.) I have pushed myself to try new things, I have grown as a person, and have learned to love myself. Not bad for my first act.

I have so much hope for the future and am incredibly thankful for the amazing gifts life has brought me. I may have been hesitant about my 30th birthday....but after some reflection? I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

Happy birthday to me.

Thank you for this precious day,
These gifts you give to me,
My heart so full of love for you,
Sings praise for all I see,

Oh, sing, for every mother's love,
For every childhood tear,
Oh, sing, for all the stars above,
The peace beyond all fear
― John Denver

xo Shannon

5 comments: